10 things you need to know about Floriana
Floriana is a stone’s throw away from Malta’s capital city – but is proud to be different from Valletta.
The town has a rich history and of course, is home to Europe’s biggest annual outdoor music concert, Isle of MTV Malta.
Here are 10 things you probably never knew about Floriana.
1. Floriana is named after Pietro Paolo Floriani, the military engineer who designed the fortifications surrounding the town
2. The origins of Floriana go back to 1636, when construction of the Floriana Lines began
4. Floriana FC was the most successful football club in Malta throughout the 20th century
5. More than 14,000 schoolchildren greeted The Queen at the Granaries in Floriana in 1954
6. Floriana hosted Malta’s formal Independence Day ceremonies in 1964.
7. Pope John Paul II addressed huge crowds in Floriana during his visits to Malta in 1990 and 2001.
8. Saint Publius is the patron saint of Floriana and is considered as the first Maltese saint.
9. Floriana’s attractions include The Mall Gardens, The Granaries, Argotti Botanical Gardens and Porte des Bombes.
10. Isle of MTV Malta has been held in Floriana since 2007, featuring the likes of Lady Gaga, Maroon 5, Clean Bandit, Rita Ora and Jason Derulo.
Photos: Malta Landscape Photography