Amazing colour photos show life in Malta 50 years ago
A photographer has released a series of fascinating images capturing life in Malta 50 years ago.
The extraordinary photos show iconic landmarks such as Valletta’s Grand Harbour and Xlendi Bay in Gozo as well as scenes from everyday life in the Maltese Islands.
Jim Payne, who runs the Through Their Eyes history website, said the photos date back to 1967.
He told us: ‘These pictures weren’t intended as ‘art’, but more to document where I was and when.
‘Interest in them started after I put some of them up on my website and later on Flickr. Perhaps it’s nostalgia for times past.’
So stop what you’re doing for a few minutes and take a look at how Malta looked 50 years ago.
1. Lacemaking in Gozo
2. HMS St Angelo in Vittoriosa
3. The ferry to Gozo at Marfa
4. Tourists buy lace in Xlendi
5. Swimming at the Dragonara Hotel in St Julian’s
6. Mgarr Harbour in Gozo
7. Manikata’s modern church
8. Ramla Bay is unspoilt
9. Marsalforn Harbour in Gozo
10. By the waterfront at Valletta’s Grand Harbour
11. St Nicholas Square in Siggiewi
12. Hagar Qim temples near Qrendi
13. Gozo’s iconic Azure Window
Read more: Through Their Eyes.co.uk